BONGOS' TWINSIES: Swedish Chopper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BONGOS' TWINSIES: Swedish Chopper

I was to do this build (and another in a separate thread) for The Greasy Dozen 2016. I didn't make the cut 3rd year in a row... How's them odds right?!?
    HaHa all good, I still believe in what Bear is doing and will always support Built Not Bought culture. Anyway, like the last 2 years, I'm still gonna move forward with my build...s...
    This time I had the wild idea of building two 1995 Sportsters the same time, completely different. One will be this one (Swedish Chopper/ Long Bike) the other a (Tracker/Cafe Racer). I figure I always have down time waiting on something, maybe I can utilize my time wisely and work on the other project and vise-versa during these times. Ping-pong if you will. Then when both are all done, maybe have a buddy ride along to wherever the road may lead us!

For those who may not know, I build bikes outa my home shop in Las Vegas. Each bike for me is always something totally new and a learning curve. I try to blog my builds as much as possible, for hopes that maybe others will 'learn' along with me. I try to do as much as the work as possible. I have friends and old timers stop by the shop from time to time, and they usually help set me in the right direction. This process takes a bit longer than just sending shit out to a pro but the long term reward, to me, is much greater. So with that said, I am going to probably fuck up along the way and have to re-do things from here and there. Thats the fun part though. I don't do this gig for a living (yet ) and have all the time I need.

About 6 months ago, I had the great fortune to pass through Sweden while on tour with Tyler, The Creator. We got into Gothenburg a day early and I was able to explore. (This is a rare occurrence, as I'm usally pressed for time on a gig and it's in and out.) Basically, I just walked around and drank beer in random pubs for about 10 hours.
    In this time is where I got inspired... I must have seen 6 different long-bike choppers out riding the streets. Not all together, just random, like it was their daily riders. I live in Vegas and it's warm 10 months out of the year.. MAYBE I see a REAL chopper once or twice a MONTH just riding around in traffic... This was 6 in a day!
    Anyway, I had to have one. I bought every local Swedish bike magazine I could the next day (couldn't read a word, but thank god for Google Translate!) and got the wheels churning again to start my next complete build: Mike Schmidt!!!

Why name it Mike Schmidt you ask?
    Because he is the greatest baseball player of my time! The dude was my absolute hero growing up. My dad even took my sister and I up to his retirement/ Hall of Fame ceremony in Philly. This bike will be powdercoated the 1980 Phillies colors. I'm also going to make all the tins, wheels, and as much as I possibly can in aluminum. Because I've never done that before and it's learning time!
    I will try to keep regular updates on this build as it comes together. Please check back often and stop by and say hi nextime you are in Vegas and see the bike in person!
    Here is a pic of what I'm starting with. I got the project from my buddy Jesse Here in Vegas. The bike was in an accident and the front end was cut off with intent to chop it out. Major plus for me, as its chopping time!

And this one too!

Comment

Killer!

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
      "hate us cause they anus."

Comment

I'll be playing catch-up next few posts to get to where I'm at now on this build. Getting right into it, I want to have the front end completely built so I can just line everything up easy-peasy when it's time to weld the frame back up.
        I picked up 12" over 41mm fork tubes on eBay and want to run them through the narrow sporty trees. It was off to my buddy Boomers in Laughlin to get the stock 39mm milled out so they fit. He's got this sweeeeet machine!

Comment

This will be a killer build , but who the fuck is Ricky bongos ??

Comment

Got some lowers for the 41mm tubes. With the narrow sporty trees they will be too close together to run a brake so the mount gets cut!

Bye Felicia!

It was time to clean these up and get ready for polishing. My lathe is too small, so my buddy Boomer ran them on his while my trees were on the mill.

I'm super happy w/ how these came out! Even had a little fun and added some lines in there

Comment

Here is what the 41mm trees look look like mocked up in the milled out 39mm sporty trees. Next to it is the standard 41mm for reference.

Also- Bareknuckle Paul makes the perfect solution to replace the fork tube caps. The stock 41mm ones won't work as they clamp to the top tree and these are now pass-through into the modified sporty trees.

Check out his site and support USA small business: BAREKNUCKLECHOPPERS.COM

Comment

Finally back in the shop. Been a cool month with one of my bikes being featured in the Horse Magazine July issue! On shelves now!
                My focus the last 2 weeks has also been getting my studio up and running. It's in the back room of my shop and has been an untouched mess since I move into the new house.
                I'm not on any deadlines with motorcycles at the moment, so figured its time to get that room all together. I did also score a nice Vinyl Plotter, so if anyone wants any decals or knockouts for painting hit me up!

Comment

• BackPorchChoppers
                  BackPorchChoppers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dude, you were featured in Vanity Fair? 😂😂😂

Nice.will be following this too

Comment

I'm watching this one

Comment

OH yeah baby!!
                    Going to make the metal fly!

Comment