Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That’s not a knife

That’s not a knife. This is a KNIFE! -Crockadile Dundee

​​​​​​ In between paying jobs in shop and I can’t just waste the time that’s killing me. Decided it’s time to start back into bladesmithing. Technically this is not “bladesmithing” as no forge is involved...
    I was given a planner blade made of High Speed Steel (HSS) to make into a knife. It served as a great strait edge for a couple years before I roughed out a K-bar fighter style blade from it. Then it sat for a couple more years. Today it’s tome came!
    I started by heating it to around 1450-1500 degrees, at the temp steel loose it magnatism. Heat a bit check with magnet till it don’t stick. I verified heat range with an oldtimer trick, cherry wood slide across it like bacon on a HOT pan. At this point you can “set” the steel in whatever “condition” you want by the way you cool it. HSS requires sand and a long cool time to anneal. Or air cool (air quench) to achieve a hardened state. For starters I annealed it so as not to immediately consume my abrasives.
    Took several hours in the 90’ heat. Next onto refining its shape. I made a guard out of some 2”x3/8” brass flat bar. The hole for blades shank to pass through was made by drilling holes along center line, in drill press. Then same bit in dremel tool to slot between the holes. I don’t have the exact size bit so hole is slightly oversized.
    I was wanting to make a stacked leather handle with screw on pommel(brass) but the HSS just ate up my 3/8 die! Guess it’s still harder than the die material! DOH!!! So I decided to use a piece of walnut revolver grip blank I had floating around. I cut it down to a useable size a undersize drilled it for the shank. To ensure a tight fit I heat set the handle. Bring shank up to red hot and hammer gently. Repeat until handle is all the way flush against guard. At that point my wife cane running out in a panick thinking my shop was “burning to the ground”! Aside from the flame being so close to the hands, and the excessive smoke, it’s a great way to marry the 3 pieces.
    Heated back to nonmagnetic and air cool to bring the hardness back. Not like it ever got soft! Not it’s so hard the 100grit sandpaper goes away fast! I used epoxy to take up any voids in handle as well as secure it till I get a good carbide drill bit. Eventually it will be pinned with 3/32 brass braising rod. I burned up the “cheap” 3/32 carbide drill bit I had and it barely put a dent in the shank. That was in the annealed state too!
    Have the epoxy an hour to set before taking my the freshly wed piece to the belt sander for shaping. It feels great in my hand in both forward and underhand grip!
    It currently a touch blade heave if held at guard so a small brass pommel will be added before its all said and done. It should make for a very balanced piece! For now I have a couple days worth of hand sanding before I worry about that.

Comment

Kinda scary sharp! Just sanding it has it shaving sharp!!!

Comment

Shu,shu,shu,shu,shu. Sand sanding and more sanding! God I need a 1” belt sander!!!

Comment

Great minds think alike I suppose.

I made this one is 69 or 70 out of a shingle machine knife and haven't resharpened it since. It has had a hard life but i found several places that would still shave.
          Dusty

Comment

• Kgi4x4
            Kgi4x4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Right on. Looks like it held up quite well!

Very nice knife, Looks like a good blade you can beat on and carry.
          1985 FXRC 80 Evo

Comment

• Kgi4x4
            Kgi4x4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!

Made a drop point for pig. Old leaf spring forged out and walnut handle.

Comment

Skinner work in progress...

Comment

looks real damn clean man, good looking blades.

I carry various, mostly the fixed I carry is a "CFK Raptor" I like it
              1985 FXRC 80 Evo

Comment

Big old beast!

Comment

Working...
                X