Announcement

Collapse

New Section!

We just added a new section to the forum called "The Chip Bin - Machinist Central" dedicated to all things machining. Don't be shy, everyone loves chips...
See more
See less

NOS Gaskets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Gaskets

So whats the pros and cons of using new old stock gaskets ?
    Posts while cruisin....

They are old gaskets would be the problem in my mind. But could use more info. Stock gaskets are normally of the cheaper variety. If they are a metal base or something else non-paper???. Also how old stock are we talking.

Comment

I got some Ducati single gaskets that were so old that I had to boil them awhile so they would unroll and grow enough to match the bolt holes. Other than wasting 30 minutes to boil them they worked fine. I boiled them in a cast iron skillet so that it was easy to unroll them as they softened.
      Dusty

Comment

Im specifically looking at a cylinder base gasket. However just in general what is yalls experiences with them.
        Posts while cruisin....

Comment

• Dusty-Dave
          Dusty-Dave commented
          Editing a comment
          If they are fairly soft just use them. If they are hard you gotta soften them otherwise they won't crush right, either cracking or breaking or crumbling or crushing after a few heat cycles and leaving the fasteners loose. If you soak or boil them pay attention and don't make paper mache!
          Dusty

I've never had an issue with NOS copper gaskets but I won't put new paper gaskets on anything if I can help it, let alone old ones.

Comment

• TheWhiteDevil
          TheWhiteDevil commented
          Editing a comment
          I can coat the paper it in copper....

I’m with theBCB on this one. Especially for crucial areas. It would all depend on the circumstance and why I was using it and on what Motor etc. a base gasket is not a “simple” gasket to replace if it fails. A head gasket being the only thing worse because it could actually blow a/f mixture and really fuck some shit up.

Youre probably fine, but you know what you gotta do if it doesn’t work out.
        🍻🌮🍻

Comment

Old days, a Bruce Jenner wheeties box, a ball peen hammer, and some copper coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Opated View Post
            Old days, a Bruce Jenner wheeties box, a ball peen hammer, and some copper coat.
            Cereal Box and an exacto knife saved my ass a few times through the years.

Comment

• TheWhiteDevil
              TheWhiteDevil commented
              Editing a comment
              My dad talks about doing that with their bultacos back in the late 70s.

I have rolls of gasket material that I use frequently for small shit.

When I did my 74 TL125 about 17 years ago, I had to make almost every gasket on that bitch that way. Only once since have I used a box to make a gasket (hung-the-fuck-over while on the side of the road) but that's a story for another thread...

Comment

Working...
            X